Monday, July 15, 2013

J. Francis Dolphin, Hno. Francisco Dolphin, M.M.

This is a photo of me when I was in the Maryknoll Brothers Novitiate in Brookline, Massachusetts.  It s now the Dexter School for boys.  I entered the Novitiate when I was 20 years old.
This would be in 1957.
My Baptismal name is John Francis Dolphin, 3rd. I am named after my Father and Grandfather.
To my knowledge, my first name was never used and this would be true for my Father. I remember my Mother calling my father Francis.
When I registered at St Mark's school in Dorchester with my Father. Sister Mary Lawrence was taking the information. Looking at my baptismal certificate, she saw John and of course called me Johnny, Naturally my Father corrected her and told her my name was Francis.  So John was never used. I do not know what was the reason behind it.
My religious name was Brother Hugh, named after a saint in Grenoble, France. However I went back to my original name in South America, because they want your real name and not religious name for legal purposes.
So the majority went back to our baptismal name. So Francis for me was St. Francis Xavier who was the Jesuit saint to Asia. But here in Latin America, the Saint is St. Francis of Assisi  The founder of the Franciscans. Mom had devotion to St. Francis Xavier and the novena was in March at Sacred Heart Church in North Quincy, Massachusetts.
So here in Bolivia  as well a in Chile, I have been called Hermano Francisco.  Brother Francis.

No comments:

Post a Comment